Jefferson Hospital Deploys STANLEY Healthcare's Hugs® Wi-Fi Infant Protection Solution
Hospital-wide infant protection and mother/infant matching key features of new, state-of-the-art Women and Infants Center
WALTHAM, Mass., March 10, 2015 — STANLEY Healthcare, a market leading provider of visibility solutions and analytics for the healthcare industry, today announced that Jefferson Hospital in Jefferson Hills, Pennsylvania, has deployed the Hugs Wi-Fi Infant Protection solution in its new Women and Infants Center.
The Center is the first new obstetrics program to be offered in Western Pennsylvania in 30 years, and Jefferson Hospital is the first facility in Pennsylvania to use the latest generation of Hugs, which is the only solution capable of locating infants in all parts of the hospital via the Wi-Fi network.
The Hugs solution is assisting healthcare providers to protect infants throughout the Women and Infants Center, including the Continuing Care Nursery, a Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). In addition, the hospital is using the Kisses® component of the Hugs solution to provide automatic and audible matching of infants and mothers. Each mother is given a Kisses tag, which is bonded with her infant's Hugs tag; whenever the two are brought together, the Hugs tag checks for a proper match. “We are committed to the best possible experience for new mothers and their families, and that includes a safe environment,” says Joy Peters, Vice President, Patient Care Services and Chief Nursing Officer. “Already we are hearing from mothers that they appreciate our commitment to security and the sense of comfort that the Hugs system brings.”
Jefferson Hospital expects to deliver 700-800 babies this year at its new Women and Infants Center. The facility has eight labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum suites; seven additional postpartum rooms; two nurseries, including a level II NICU for infants with special needs; two C-section operating rooms; and triage rooms. David A. Logan, MD, is the Medical Director of the Women and Infants Center.
“We are honored that Jefferson Hospital has chosen the Hugs solution for the Women and Infants Center,” said Diane Hosson, Senior Director of Security Solutions for STANLEY Healthcare. “The Hugs Wi-Fi solution's ability to monitor infants in all parts of the hospital is an important advancement over previous infant protection solutions. It is very fitting that this new, state-of-the-art facility is using the latest generation of technology to help protect its infants.”
The Hugs Wi-Fi solution provides a number of benefits over its predecessor and other solutions on the market:
- Hospital-wide infant security: Exits are monitored against egress in Obstetrics, with the status and location of infants tracked anywhere within the hospital's Wi-Fi coverage.
- Out of Unit alarm: An alert is generated if an infant is detected outside the Obstetrics unit, but there is no record of a staff member performing a Transport.
- Stand-alone exit protection: Exits remain protected even if communication to the Server is interrupted.
- Anywhere information: System activity can be monitored on any Windows device with network access, with alerts pushed to staff via Apple iPhone® or iPod® mobile digital devices, IP phones, Vocera® badges, text message and e-mail.
- Enterprise solution: The Hugs Wi-Fi solution is part of STANLEY Healthcare's market-leading AeroScout® platform for real-time visibility on the status and location of patients, staff and equipment.
About Jefferson Hospital
Jefferson Hospital, part of Allegheny Health Network, an integrated healthcare delivery system serving the Western Pennsylvania region, is a community-based health system serving the 500,000 residents of the South Hills of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. More than 1,800 employees and 450 physicians provide comprehensive inpatient and outpatient medical and surgical services in 15 locations in more than 40 specialties. Emergency Services' physicians and medical staff treat more than 52,000 emergency patients each year. Nearly every patient room in the 341-bed award-winning hospital is private. Visit www.ahn.org for more information.
Hugs, Kisses and AeroScout are registered trademarks of Stanley Black & Decker or its affiliates. iPhone and iPod are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the United States and other jurisdictions. Vocera is a trademark of Vocera Communications, Inc. registered in the United States and other jurisdictions. Information is subject to change without notice.
Let's start a conversation today
- North America +1 (888) 622-6992
- International +1 (781) 216-9200