New Generation of Hugs® Infant Protection Solution Extends Protection for Infants Hospital-Wide
More than 1,400 hospitals worldwide have selected Hugs since 1998
WALTHAM, Mass., June 13, 2014— STANLEY Healthcare, a market leading provider of visibility solutions and analytics for the healthcare industry, today announced that the new generation of its Hugs Infant Protection Solution, which extends protection for infants hospital-wide, will be exhibited at the Annual Convention of the Association of Women’s Health, Obstetrics and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN), June 15-17 in Orlando, Florida.
The Hugs solution is the most widely used electronic system for protecting newborns against abduction and mother/infant mismatches. Since its launch in 1998, the Hugs solution has been selected by over 1400 hospitals worldwide.
“The safety of infants is our primary concern, and we are very proud that so many hospitals have put their trust in the Hugs solution to help protect their youngest and most vulnerable patients,” said Diane Hosson, Director of Security Solutions for STANLEY Healthcare. “With the new generation of the Hugs solution on Wi-Fi, we are building on this great legacy by extending security beyond the Obstetrics unit to cover the entire hospital.”
The Hugs Wi-Fi solution is STANLEY Healthcare’s latest generation of infant protection technology, built on the market-leading AeroScout® RTLS platform for real-time visibility on the location and status of patients, staff and equipment. Because it works with standard Wi-Fi, it is able to track the location of infants and continues to provide protection anywhere in a hospital where Wi-Fi coverage exists. Hospitals no longer need to limit coverage to a limited area, as with previous solutions.
In addition, the Hugs Wi-Fi solution provides a number of enhancements over its predecessor and other solutions on the market:
- Out of Unit alarm: An alert is generated if an infant is detected outside the Obstetrics unit, but there is no record of a staff member performing a Transport.
- Stand-alone exit protection: Exits remain protected even if communication to the Server is interrupted.
- Browser-based software: System activity can be monitored on any Windows PC with network access, with alerts pushed to staff via Apple iPhone® or iPod® mobile digital devices, IP phones, Vocera badges, text message and e-mail.
- Enterprise solution: Modular and scalable architecture with high availability and clustering capabilities, central management of distributed sites and enterprise databases.
- Support for other safety, security and operational efficiency applications: The Hugs solution enables several other AeroScout RTLS applications relevant to the Obstetrics Unit, including temperature monitoring of refrigerated storage for breast milk or pharmaceuticals and asset management of IV pumps and other equipment.
This key new functionality has convinced many current Hugs customers to adopt the Hugs Wi-Fi solution. The Ministry of Health for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has selected the Hugs Wi-Fi solution for 156 of its hospitals throughout the kingdom, based on a successful experience with the previous generation of Hugs in 16 major birthing hospitals.
Collingwood General & Marine (G&M) Hospital in Collingwood, Ontario, also recently deployed the Hugs Wi-Fi solution, replacing its original Hugs system installed in 2000. The familiarity of the Hugs infant tag and software procedures has made adoption of the new solution straightforward for clinical users.
The Hugs Wi-Fi solution will be the focus of the STANLEY Healthcare exhibit at the Annual Convention of the Association of Women’s Health, Obstetrics and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN), June 15-17 in Orlando, Florida. Visitors to booth #611 will be able to experience the key advantages of the Hugs Wi-Fi solution in a live Demo Theater.
To see the Hugs Infant Protection Solution in action alongside STANLEY Healthcare’s full suite of visibility solutions and analytics, view the new A Day in the Life of a Medical Center with STANLEY Healthcare video on YouTube.
About STANLEY Healthcare
STANLEY Healthcare provides over 5,000 acute care hospitals and 12,000 long-term care organizations with enterprise solutions that transform safety, security and operational efficiency. The STANLEY Healthcare solution set enables customers to achieve organizational excellence and superior care in five critical areas: Patient Safety, Security & Protection, Environmental Monitoring, Clinical Operations & Workflow and Supply Chain & Asset Management. These solutions are complemented by consulting, training, implementation and integration services. STANLEY Healthcare is proud to be part of Stanley Black & Decker, Inc. Visit www.stanleyhealthcare.com and follow STANLEY Healthcare on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
AeroScout and Hugs are registered trademarks of Stanley Black & Decker or its affiliates. iPhone and iPod are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Information is subject to change without notice.
Let's start a conversation today
- North America +1 (888) 622-6992
- International +1 (781) 216-9200