Peninsula Regional Medical Center Expands its Hugs® Wi-Fi Infant Protection Solution
Expansion part of a continued strategic investment in Real-Time Location System solutions from STANLEY Healthcare for Patient Security, Asset Management and Environmental Monitoring
WALTHAM, Mass., November 13, 2014 — STANLEY Healthcare, a market leading provider of visibility solutions and analytics for the healthcare industry, today announced that it has completed an expansion of the Hugs Wi-Fi Infant Protection solution at Peninsula Regional Medical Center (PRMC) in Salisbury, Maryland.
The expansion comes as part of a major renovation of the Women's and Children's Services area at PRMC, including a new Mother/Baby Unit. All parts of the floor occupied by Women's and Children's Services are now protected by the Hugs Wi-Fi solution: the Mother/Baby Unit, Labor & Delivery and the Special Care Nursery. This follows an initial deployment in 2013, when PRMC became the first hospital in the United States to implement the Hugs Wi-Fi solution.
Hugs Wi-Fi is part of STANLEY Healthcare's market-leading AeroScout® RTLS platform for real-time visibility on the location and status of patients, staff and equipment. PRMC has for several years used the AeroScout platform for Asset Management of specialty beds, medical carts, wound vacuums, hover mats and telemetry transmitters, as well as Environmental Monitoring of temperatures in refrigerators and freezers.
"The ability to leverage our existing Wi-Fi infrastructure and previous investments in the AeroScout platform made the selection of the Hugs Wi-Fi solution a natural choice as we planned infant protection for the new Women's and Children's Services area," said Mark Cornelius, Director of Clinical Engineering at PRMC. "It also helped that our staff were already familiar with Hugs from having used the previous generation of the Hugs solution." Prior to deploying Hugs Wi-Fi, the hospital had been using the previous-generation Hugs solution since 2007.
The Hugs Wi-Fi solution provides a number of benefits over its predecessor and other solutions on the market:
- Hospital-wide infant security: Exits are monitored against egress in Obstetrics, with the status and location of infants tracked anywhere within the hospital's Wi-Fi coverage.
- Out of Unit alarm: An alert is generated if an infant is detected outside the Obstetrics unit, but there is no record of a staff member performing a Transport.
- Stand-alone exit protection: Exits remain protected even if communication to the Server is interrupted.
- Browser-based software: System activity can be monitored on any Windows PC with network access, with alerts pushed to staff via Apple iPhone® or iPod® mobile digital devices, IP phones, Vocera badges, text message and e-mail.
- Enterprise solution: Modular and scalable architecture with high availability and clustering capabilities, central management of distributed sites and enterprise databases.
"We are very pleased to continue our partnership with PRMC to increase security for infants," said Diane Hosson, Senior Director of Security Solutions for STANLEY Healthcare. "The Hugs Wi-Fi solution's ability to monitor infants in all parts of the hospital is an important advancement in infant protection, leveraging the real-time visibility and enterprise scope of the AeroScout platform. Hospitals like PRMC now have a single solution for multiple applications, including patient security, asset management, environmental monitoring and patient flow."
About Peninsula Regional Medical Center
Peninsula Regional Medical Center (PRMC) in Salisbury, Maryland offers the widest array of specialty and subspecialty services on the Delmarva Peninsula. At 275 acute care beds, PRMC is Delmarva's largest and most advanced hospital, offering a full range of services, including neurosurgery, cardiothoracic surgery, joint replacement, emergency/trauma care, wound care and comprehensive cancer care. It is the recipient of more than 125 national awards, certifications and recognitions over the past six years for the care and safety it provides patients and the outcomes they experience. For more information, visit www.peninsula.org.
AeroScout and Hugs are registered trademarks of Stanley Black & Decker or its affiliates. iPhone and iPod are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Information is subject to change without notice.
Let's start a conversation today
- North America +1 (888) 622-6992
- International +1 (781) 216-9200